The first Kids Voting USA-Marathon County mock political convention for high school seniors was held in 2012 and focused on the national presidential nomination process. Our fifth mock political convention will be held on October 19, 2022 will focus on the state process of endorsing a gubernatorial candidate. Our goals are for students participating in the mock political convention to:
- To stimulate students’ interest in continuing to be active and engaged adult voters.
- To learn through this simulation the workings of a political convention leading to the election of the United State President or Governor.
- To develop skills in decision-making, listening, compromising, and personal leadership.
- To develop an appreciation for the art of compromise and understand the need for bipartisan cooperation in the working of our government.
- To gain an appreciation for the political diversity of the United States population as reflected in the political parties